The following web pages have information about John Walker.
- Preston Park Museum and Grounds (also see our dedicated page for Preston Park Museum here)
- Stockton on Tees Borough Council
- Stocktononteeside.co.uk added 5 May 2023
- History of Matches
- Wikipedia on John Walker
- 1927 article in Nature Magazine “The Centenary of the Friction Match” added 5 May 2023
- Tees Valley Museums
- BBC History of the World in 100 objects
- Made up Britain
- Stockton on Tees Council and Preston Park Museum
- Stockton Archive
- This is Stockton
- The many indignities of John Walker
- Northern Echo A Striking Resemblance to John Walker added 30 Nov 2022
- This Week in History, which cites November 27 as the day John Walker invented the Friction Match added 5 May 2023
The following videos have information about John Walker.
These are links to the Science Museum’s collection and some matchboxes which are relevant to us
- John Walker’s Day Book image
- John Walker’s Day Book description
- John Walker biography
- bryant-and-may-collection-of-fire-making-appliances note the last sentence “It includes a rare example of a friction match made by the original inventor, John Walker of Stockton-on-Tees, in 1826.”
These are some other useful links.